In this chapter we have looked at azeotropic and extractive distillation systems plus distillation with simultaneous chemical reaction. At the end of this chapter you should be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Analyze binary distillation systems using other separation schemes to break the azeotrope
2. Solve binary heterogeneous azeotrope problems, including the drying of organic solvents, using McCabe-Thiele diagrams
3. Explain and analyze steam distillation
4. Use McCabe-Thiele diagrams or process simulators to solve problems where two pressures are used to separate azeotropes
5. Determine the possible products for a ternary distillation using residue curves
6. Explain the purpose of extractive distillation, ...