In this chapter both qualitative and quantitative aspects of column design are discussed. At the end of this chapter you should be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Describe the equipment used for staged distillation columns
2. Define different definitions of efficiency, predict the overall efficiency, and scale-up the efficiency from laboratory data
3. Determine the diameter of sieve and valve tray columns, and adjust vapor flow rates to balance column diameters
4. Determine tray pressure drop terms for sieve and valve trays and design downcomers
5. Lay out a tray that will work
6. Describe the parts of a packed column and explain the purpose of each part
7. Use the HETP method to design a packed column. ...