In this chapter, we considered what extraction is used for, developed McCabe-Thiele and Kremser methods for immiscible extraction, and explored methods for ternary partially miscible extraction systems. At the end of this chapter, you should be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Explain what extraction is and outline the types of equipment used
2. Apply the McCabe-Thiele and Kremser methods to immiscible extraction
3. Plot extraction equilibria on a triangular diagram. Find the saturated extract, saturated raffinate, and conjugate lines
4. Find the mixing point and solve single-stage and cross-flow extraction problems
5. For countercurrent systems, do the external mass balances, find the difference points, ...