In this chapter we explore some of the reasons for studying separations and some of the methods we will use. When finished studying this chapter, you should be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Explain how separations are used in a typical chemical plant
2. Define the concepts of equilibrium stages and unit operations
3. Explain what is meant by phase equilibrium
4. Explain the basic concepts of mass transfer
5. List the steps in the structured problem-solving approach and start to use this approach
6. Have some familiarity with the prerequisites
The first use of the Summary—Objectives section is to help you see where you are going. Then, when you’ve ...