This chapter discusses vapor-liquid equilibrium (VLE) and the calculation procedures for binary and multicomponent flash distillation. When finished studying this chapter, you should be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Explain and sketch the basic flash distillation process
2. Find desired VLE data in the literature or on the Web
3. Plot and use y-x, temperature-composition, and enthalpy-composition diagrams; explain the relationship between these three types of diagrams
4. Derive and plot the operating equation for a binary flash distillation on a y-x diagram; solve both sequential and simultaneous binary flash distillation problems
5. Define and use K values, Raoult’s law, and ...