In this chapter we explore batch distillation. After finishing this chapter, you should be able to satisfy the following objectives:
1. Explain the operation of simple and multistage batch distillation systems
2. Discuss the differences between batch and continuous operation
3. Derive and use the Rayleigh equation for simple binary batch distillation
4. Solve problems for constant-mole, batch distillation
5. Solve problems in batch steam distillation with a single volatile organic component
6. Use the McCabe-Thiele method to analyze multistage binary batch distillation for:
a. Batch distillation with a constant reflux ratio.
b. Batch distillation with a constant distillate composition.