Why study crystallization from solution?
• Many products are sold in solid form, and crystallization is often the last step in manufacturing.
• Crystallization is useful for both nonvolatile and heat-sensitive compounds that cannot be distilled.
• Crystallization often produces very pure products because at equilibrium many crystals are pure.
• Crystallization typically has relatively low energy requirements.
• Crystallization is commonly used to produce inorganic chemicals and pharmaceuticals.
How is crystallization from solution similar to other separation processes, and what is different about crystallization? Crystallization can be designed as an equilibrium-staged system, usually with a single equilibrium ...