Sometimes photographers have to shoot in less than ideal
lighting situations. Maybe the wedding is mid-day in the middle of
a field, or perhaps the event is in a florescent-lit room. These
scenarios can be particularly intimidating for beginning
photographers who don't know how to handle the many undesirable
lighting situations they may encounter.
In Shooting in Sh*tty Light, professional photographers Lindsay Adler and Erik Valind cover the top ten worst lighting situations and provide a variety of solutions for each. They explain which solutions are most practical and why one option might be preferable over another, examining such problems as extremely low lighting when no flash is allowed, strong backlight, and the light on an overcast day.
Unlike other books that focus on natural
light or lighting in general, this book addresses a very real need
of beginning photographers, answering the question, “What do
I do when the lighting is terrible?” Lindsay and Erik
candidly show you the tools at your disposal, demonstrating the
techniques essential to getting the job done with minimal
Shows how to deal with ten of the worst lighting situations, such as harsh midday light, extremely low light, and mixed light.
Offers real-life examples and practical solutions for handling poor light, such as identifying natural reflectors, bouncing light off a wall, or utilizing flash gels.
Features a fun, conversational style to help you conquer the fear of poor lighting and approach any lighting situation with confidence!
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Dedication Page
- Chapter One. Direct Sunlight
- Chapter Two. Direct Sunlight, No Shade in Sight
- Chapter Three. Fluorescent Light
- Chapter Four. Mixed Color Temperatures
- Chapter Five. Shooting at Night
- Chapter Six. Extremely Low Light, No Flash Allowed
- Chapter Seven. Low Light with Flash
- Chapter Eight. Dappled Light, High Contrast
- Chapter Nine. Strong Backlight
- Chapter Ten. Overcast Day
- Appendix A. Glossary
- Appendix B. Equipment
- Add Page
- Title: Shooting in Sh*tty Light: The Top Ten Worst Photography Lighting Situations and How to Conquer Them
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 9780133093759