***When you purchase the Print book, you can download a PDF copy from Manning Publications at no additional charge***
Microsoft describes Silverlight as a "cross-browser, cross-platform plug-in for delivering the next generation of .NET based media experiences and rich interactive applications for the Web." That's a really boring description for a really exciting new technology. Anyone who has looked at the demos and gotten a taste of what Silverlight can do knows that Silverlight represents an entirely new level of rich web interface technology for Microsoft developers.
This book delivers real-world examples and in-depth walkthroughs to help you confidently enhance your web applications using Silverlight 2.
Silverlight 2 in Action devotes extensive coverage to flexible layout components, the extensible control model, the communication framework, and the data-binding features "all cornerstones of software development. Author and Microsoft MVP Chad Campbell also describes rich media and vivid graphical and animation features. The final chapters include a variety of Silverlight deployment scenarios.
In addition to the fundamentals of Silverlight, you'll be introduced to architectural components such as the Silverlight object model. The book addresses the developer/designer collaboration model Silverlight enables, showing the developer how to include the designer effectively in the project workflow. This model is illustrated throughout the examples.
For ongoing reader support, the author will maintain a dedicated book-support website providing up-to-the-minute working examples, complete with source code, all in Silverlight.
Table of Contents
- Brief Table of Contents
- Table of Contents
- About this book
- Chapter 1. Introducing Silverlight
- Chapter 2. Harmony with the web
- Chapter 3. Back to the basics: Layout and text
- Chapter 4. Handling user interaction
- Chapter 5. Getting down with data binding
- Chapter 6. Networking and communications
- Chapter 7. Managing digital media
- Chapter 8. Getting a grip on graphics
- Chapter 9. Bringing it to life: Animation
- Chapter 10. Giving it style
- Chapter 11. Enhancing the experience
- Chapter 12. Share the light: Distribution and deployment
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Examples
- Title: Silverlight 2 in Action, illustrated edition
- Release date: October 2008
- Publisher(s): Manning Publications
- ISBN: 9781933988429