SMART SELLING ON THE PHONE AND ONLINE
last a lifetime with them. They give him straight answers, and he is
always assured his deals are solid and they come in as forecasted.
It’s a cakewalk for consistent Carla:
You can always count on Carla’s
steady numbers each month. She is the most accurate, organized,
and consistent player on the team. Because Carla keeps her eyes on
the prize and manages each deal through the entire process, she
may not have a huge funnel of opportunities, but the ones she is
working on are high quality, tight, clean, and solid. Carla is conﬁ-
dent, so closing is a non-event for her—she is already doing it all
right every step of the way.
1. Closing is not some mysterious event. If you stay on top of your
deals all the way through the sales process, the close will happen.
2. Stay focused on the skills you’ve learned in this book. They have
each been designed to lead you to the close. Just follow them, and
you will keep your eye on the prize.
3. Build a healthy sales funnel that includes a solid assortment of
small- , medium- , and large-sized opportunities.
4. Be ambitious. Build a large sales funnel to allow for potential
fallout and strive to exceed your numbers.
5. Follow your sales process. Understand what to expect at each
stage so you will never be surprised.
6. Align with your prospect’s buying cycle. Position yourself well
with decision makers and other inﬂuencers to ensure your deal is
7. Listen to your prospect’s pain, remember it, and use it to create
compelling events. Drop the ‘‘happy ears’’—they will get you in
8. Stay focused on the compelling event. Once you have this identi-
ﬁed, use it to help your prospects realize the importance of hav-
ing your solution in place by a certain time.
CLOSING: THE COMPLEX ROAD TO GAINING COMMITMENT /
9. Stay conﬁdent. Do what you can every day to keep building your
self-esteem and faith in your ability to close deals. A good, posi-
tive attitude will relieve stress.
10. Closing is all about momentum: stay organized, focused, and per-