Smarter Executionidentifies seven key steps that managers need to get to grips with if they are to reap the full benefits of their strategic initiatives:
¨ Focus first–less is more
¨ Pick the best possible team–don’t compromise
¨ Set the course–learn to navigate to a destination that is not yet fully defined
¨ Set up to win–there is no “commitment switch”: it starts with you
¨ Think it through–rehearse mentally each next step, leaving no stone unturned
¨ Get all aboard–it’s about getting people to change the way they work
¨ Follow through–to learn on the go
Table of contents
- Financial Times Prentice Hall
- About the authors
1. Focus first
- What’s the matter?
- Focusing on strategic priorities
- Selection of the fittest
- Which ways to go?
2. Pick only the best
- Dream teams
- Sponsored talk
- Lead to succeed
- Recruit for energy
- Two time bombs
- Creating a team
3. Set the course
- Don’t sail without...
Three steps to set the course
- 1. Agreeing on the problem to be resolved
- 2. Agreeing on the expected outcome
- 3. Agreeing the execution roadmap
- Chart your course
4. Play to win
- Committed to win
- Almost ready
- What can the leader do?
5. Think it through
- Making it happen
- Agile scheduling
- Scheduling resources
- Check the instruments
- Manage execution risks
6. All aboard
- Lead from the front
- Victims of success
- Resource poachers
Winning public opinion
- Who are the opinion leaders?
- How do we manage everyone?
- How do we communicate effectively?
- How do we keep the buzz going?
7. Follow through
The follow-through imperative
- Keeping execution on course
- Learning on the go
- Maintaining momentum
- Who should attend the operating-review meetings?
- What should be the frequency and duration of operating-review meetings?
- What should the agenda of operating-review meetings be?
- Milestone meetings
- Operating-review meetings
- Keeping the finger on the pulse
- The follow-through imperative
- Epilogue: A double-edged strategy
- Title: Smarter Execution: Seven steps to getting results
- Release date: January 2009
- Publisher(s): Pearson
- ISBN: 9780131370203
You might also like
Making Work Visible
"""In this timely book (title not final) by Information Technology time management expert Dominica DeGrandis, the …
Emotional Intelligence: Managing emotions to make a positive impact on your life and career
From the author of the bestselling Mindfulness: Be Mindful. Live in the Moment. Emotional Intelligence is …
will show you how to use email effectively to win back time and dramatically improve your …
Great Answers to Tough Questions at Work
The essential guide to turning tough questions into positive opportunities Difficult questions can be thrown at …