Protecting Your Number and Card
In This Chapter
- Why it’s important to protect your Social Security number
- Ways to keep your number from identity thieves
- What to do if someone else uses your number
- How to replace a lost card or get a new number
- How to change your name on your Social Security card
Do you ever feel as if you’re just a number? Have you ever felt that your entire identity has been reduced to a series of numerals with a couple of dashes in between?
Well, guess what? It has, and it’s your Social Security number—but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s simply the way the federal government tracks how much you’ve earned, ...