Praise for Socialnomics
"It's obvious that Erik Qualman's passion is social media."
—Dan Heath, New York Times bestselling coauthor of Made to Stick and Switch
"People are hot for social media . . . Erik Qualman says it's about listening first, then selling."
"Erik Qualman has been doing his homework on the social media phenomenon."
—The Huffington Post
"This is a must-read for anyone trying to leverage the social graph rather than be squashed by it."
—Steve Kaufer, CEO, TripAdvisor
"You learn a lot about someone from how they treat their moms. Erik is a trustworthy guy."
—Chris Brogan, New York Times bestselling author of Trust Agents and Social Media 101
"Qualman is to social media what Demming is to quality and Drucker to management."
—Scott Galloway, Professor, Stern School of Business, NYU
The newly revised and updated guide to the social media revolution!
Welcome to the world of Socialnomics—where consumers and the societies they create online have profound effects on our economy and the businesses that operate within it. Online word of mouth, social search, social commerce, and the influence of peer groups are making traditional marketing strategies obsolete. As a result, we no longer have a choice on whether we do social media; the question is how well we do it.
Join Erik Qualman in Socialnomics for a fascinating look at the business implications of social media, and tap its considerable power to increase sales, cut marketing costs, and communicate directly with consumers.
Table of contents
- ABOUT THIS BOOK
1. Word of Mouth Goes World of Mouth
- 1.1. Is Social Media Just a Fad?
- 1.2. Who Cares What You Are Doing?
- 1.3. Foreign Friends Are Not Forgotten
- 1.4. Search Engines and Social Media
- 1.5. We No Longer Search for the News—It Finds Us
- 1.6. Newspapers and Magazines Diminish in Power
- 1.7. Playboy and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue Are Stripped Down
- 1.8. Idaho Bloggers Are Better than New York Reporters
- 1.9. Not All Bloggers Are Bad
- 1.10. Free and Faster Information
- 1.11. A Touch of Bacon Salt on Your Social Media
- 1.12. Micro-Revenue Streams Huge for Social Media
- 1.13. Dancing Matt—Something to Chew On
- 1.14. Flying the Not-So-Friendly Skies
- 1.15. Chapter One Key Points
- 2. Social Media = Preventative Behavior
3. Social Media = Braggadocian Behavior
- 3.1. Just Do It, Did It
- 3.2. Social Media Is the New Inbox
- 3.3. "Are You on Facebook?" Is the New "Can I Get Your Phone Number?"
- 3.4. Deep Dive into Dating 101
- 3.5. Assess Your Life Every Minute
- 3.6. Millennials—All about Giving Back
- 3.7. The Next Generation Can't Speak
- 3.8. Let Kids Take Ownership of Your Brand
- 3.9. Kids Ages 2 to 17 Don't See Advertisements
- 3.10. Turning Lemons into Lemonade with Fizzle
- 3.11. Chapter Three Key Points
4. Obama's Success Driven by Social Media
- 4.1. Obama Was Made for YouTube
- 4.2. Obama Sings in the Shower—Behind-the-Scenes Content
- 4.3. Can Google Predict the Next President or Flu Outbreak?
- 4.4. Is the Flu a Virus or Just Simply Viral?
- 4.5. Indiana Goes Google Gaga for Obama
- 4.6. Canada Cared the Most about the Next U.S. President
- 4.7. Fireside Chats and Presidential Texts
- 4.8. Is the White House More BlackBerry or Mayberry?
- 4.9. Free Pancakes Anyone?
- 4.10. Social Media Creates and Solves the Problem of Long Voting Lines
- 4.11. Online Voting—The Future Is Now
- 4.12. Even the Army Is Sharing Information
- 4.13. Chapter Four Key Points
5. I Care More about What My Neighbor Thinks than What Google Thinks
- 5.1. Buying the Right Baby Seat
- 5.2. Minivan or Hybrid?
- 5.3. Blowing Out the Candles
- 5.4. Bon Voyage Online Travel Agents?
- 5.5. Looking to Friends for Medical Advice
- 5.6. Jared and Subway's Almost Missed Opportunity
- 5.7. Not All Applications Are Created Equal
- 5.8. Marketing to Zombies
- 5.9. Leveraging Success
- 5.10. Companion Credit Union: New Logo
- 5.11. eReaders/Tables
- 5.12. Where in the World Is Bangladesh?
- 5.13. Chapter Five Key Points
- 6. Death of Social Schizophrenia
7. Winners and Losers in a 140-Character World
- 7.1. Does ESPN Have ESP?
- 7.2. Stop the Charade—Nobody Is Perfect
- 7.3. Free Labor
- 7.4. The Tom Sawyer Approach
- 7.5. Everybody Wants His or Her 15 Minutes of Fame
- 7.6. Become a Modern Day Pied Piper
- 7.7. Everybody Is Twittering, But Is Anyone Listening?
- 7.8. TV Repeats Mistakes of the Music Industry
- 7.9. NBC Earns Fool's Gold in the Olympics
- 7.10. TV Shows Viewed through the Internet
- 7.11. Adjust Shows Based on Fast-Forward Behavior
- 7.12. Scrabulous—A Fabulous Example
- 7.13. Advertising within Social Networks Is Actually Effective
- 7.14. Content and Conversation Will Drive Awareness—Not Advertising
- 7.15. Don't Put All Your Eggs in One Basket
- 7.16. Second Life Equals Idle Life for Coca-Cola
- 7.17. Search Engine Optimization for Facebook
- 7.18. John Deere Mows Over Facebook
- 7.19. Sheep without a Shepherd
- 7.20. Chapter Seven Key Points
8. Next Steps for Companies and The "Glass House Generation"
- 8.1. Power to the People
- 8.2. Customers Get Paid for Their Search Efforts
- 8.3. For Those Who Think This Will Never Work . . . Surprise, It Already Does
- 8.4. Join Them Before They Beat You
- 8.5. Role of Search
- 8.6. What Happens When the Internet Advertising Structure Collapses?
- 8.7. Where Have All the Banners Gone?
- 8.8. Search Engine Results Are Still Prehistoric
- 8.9. Paid Search Relevancy Dilemma
- 8.10. Oral Communication Skills Decline
- 8.11. Is the Journalistic Interview Dead?
- 8.12. Mobile Me
- 8.13. Field of Nightmares: Lufthansa and American Airlines
- 8.14. A Truly Interconnected Web?
- 8.15. You Don't Find a Job, It Finds You
- 8.16. Hiring the Internet Generation
- 8.17. Tony Tweets
- 8.18. Southwest Is No Ding-a-Ling
- 8.19. Chapter Eight Key Points
- 9. Social Media Rolodex and Resources
- 10. Other Insights and FAQs
- SOCIALNOMICS SUMMARY
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Title: Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business, Revised and Updated
- Release date: November 2010
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9780470638842
You might also like
Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms the Way We Live and Do Business, 2nd Edition
The benchmark book on to the effects and implications of social media on our daily lives, …
Socialnomics: How Social Media Transforms The Way We Live and Do Business
A fascinating, research-based look at the impact of social media on businesses and consumers around the …
Social Media For Small Business
Discover how social media can transform your business and help you attract more customers Social Media …
The Social Media Marketing Book
Are you looking to take advantage of social media for your business or organization? With easy-to-understand …