Learn functional programming in Scala by implementing sorting and searching algorithms
About This Video
- Learn functional programming in Scala via examples
- Discuss the advantages of developing algorithms in a functional manner.
- Reinforce your knowledge using assessments and quizzes
- Verify the concepts learned via an end-of-the-course practical project
Scala's functional programming features are a boon when it comes to designing easy-to-reason-about systems to curb growing software complexities. In this course, we will learn about many concepts and tools available in the Scala language by implementing, in a functional manner, some sorting and searching algorithms.
Most algorithms are traditionally defined in an imperative manner, typically consisting of repetitions in the form of conditional looping and altering states. Writing these in a functional manner is not always a trivial process. In this course, we will do just that. We will also show how to implement search data structures in a functional and immutable manner. We will look at number sorting, substring searches, hash tables, red black binary trees, and the closest pair algorithm. Along the way, we will talk about bubble sort, merge sort, Knuth-Morris-Pratt string searching, structural sharing in functional data structures, and various problems with immutable data structures. Further, we will explore the classic closest pair algorithm and show how we can solve the problem efficiently in a functional manner.
By the end of the course, you will have gained a thorough knowledge of many functional Scala concepts and will understand these algorithms and data structures.
All the code and supporting files for this course are available at https://github.com/PacktPublishing/Sorting-and-Searching-Algorithms-in-Scala.
Table of contents
- Chapter 1 : Number Sorting
- Chapter 2 : Substring Searching
- Chapter 3 : Hash Tables
Chapter 4 : Binary Trees
- Introduction to Binary Trees 00:07:12
- Immutable Binary Trees 00:07:13
- Binary Search Implementation 00:11:20
- Binary Insert Implementation 00:10:41
- Traversal on Binary Trees 00:05:26
- Traversal Implementation 00:13:26
- Red Black Tree 00:07:34
- Implementing Tree Rotations 00:07:12
- Red Black Tree Insert 00:09:15
- Implementing Red Black Tree Inserts 00:18:09
- Chapter 5 : st Pair
- Title: Sorting and Searching Algorithms in Scala
- Release date: June 2018
- Publisher(s): Packt Publishing
- ISBN: 9781788476850
You might also like
Learning Data Structures and Algorithms
In this Learning Data Structures and Algorithms video training course, Rod Stephens will teach you how …
Scala for the Impatient
4+ Hours of Video Instruction Overview In Scala for the Impatient LiveLessons best-selling author and professor …
Algorithms: 24-part Lecture Series
Algorithms, Deluxe Edition, Fourth Edition These Algorithms Video Lectures cover the essential information that every serious …
51+ hours of video instruction. Overview The professional programmer’s Deitel® video guide to Python development with …