As President of the Giraffe Heroes Project, which since 1982 has been recognizing people who "stick their necks out for the common good," John Graham has seen what hundreds of average citizens around the world have done to bring about constructive change. He's drawn on their experiences, his own as a veteran environmental activist, and that of a hand-picked group of seasoned activists to produce an accessible, eminently practical, inspiring guide on how to work effectively for change in any environment.
Stick Your Neck Out covers every aspect of working for change, from choosing an issue to mapping out a strategy, getting a team together, building alliances, working with the media, and more. Each chapter contains a series of practical tips as well as inspiring examples of real people--artists, truck drivers, doctors, waitresses, and others--who have made a difference on issues like poverty, racism, gang violence, environmental pollution, and many more. Everything in this book has been honed and practiced; nothing is untested theory.
This is a comprehensive guide to the skills, qualities, and strategies you need to make a difference on any issue. But it's also about becoming fully alive--about the meaning and passion you can add to your own life by getting involved. Active citizenship and personal growth are linked. The information in this book can change your world--and it can change your life.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- INTRODUCTION: WHAT DO YOU CARE ABOUT?
- CHAPTER ONE: WHY DO IT?
- CHAPTER TWO: START HERE
- CHAPTER THREE: TRUST THEM? ARE YOU KIDDING?
- CHAPTER FOUR: BUILDING A TEAM AND KEEPING IT TOGETHER
- CHAPTER FIVE: MAKING A PLAN
- CHAPTER SIX: RISK TAKING AND COURAGE
- CHAPTER SEVEN: FINDING COMMON GROUND: NEGOTIATING AND RESOLVING CONFLICTS
- CHAPTER EIGHT: PERSUASIVE COMMUNIC ATIONS: SPEECHES, FUND-RAISING, AND MORE
- CHAPTER NINE: DEALING WITH THE MEDIA: THE SECRETS OF GOOD PR
- CHAPTER TEN: GETTING INS TITUTIONS TO DO WHAT YOU WANT
- CHAPTER ELEVEN: PUBLIC TESTIMONY AND LEGAL ACTION
- EPILOGUE: A PERSONAL JOURNEY
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- Title: Stick Your Neck Out
- Release date: June 2005
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781609943950
You might also like
40 Algorithms Every Programmer Should Know
Learn algorithms for solving classic computer science problems with this concise guide covering everything from fundamental …
Design Patterns in the Real World, an Analysis-Based Approach
Alan Holub takes coders deep into the reality of Gang-of-Four design patterns, those reusable guides to …
Small, Sharp Software Tools
The command-line interface is making a comeback. That's because developers know that all the best features …
Fundamentals of Software Architecture
Salary surveys worldwide regularly place software architect in the top 10 best jobs, yet no real …