The interviewer read a list of problems and complaints that people sometimes have. The respondent answers each question with a descriptor that best describes how much discomfort that problem has caused the respondent during the past week, including the interview day.
1. Faintness or dizziness
2. Feeling no interest in things
3. Feeling nervous when you are left alone
4. Pains in heart or chest
5. Feeling lonely even when you are with people
6. Feeling tense or keyed up
7. Nausea or upset stomach
8. Feeling blue
9. Suddenly scared for no reason
10. Trouble getting your breath
11. Feeling worthlessness
12. Spells of terror or panic
13. Numbness or tingling in parts of your body
14. Feeling hopeless about the future
15. Feeling so restless you couldn' t sit still
16. Feeling weak in parts of your body
17. Thoughts of death or dying
18. Feeling fearful.
Responses are measured on a five- point Likert scale: 0, not all; 1, a little bit; 2, moderately; 3, quite a bit; and 4, extremely.