4.11 Heat Exchanger Selection
The proper selection of a heat exchanger involves many factors. It is easy to choose one that will work; however, does it optimize cost of the total system without compromising operating reliability?
4.11.1 Guidelines We Should Follow
• Do not specify or purchase a heat exchanger without considering its effect on the total process.
• Do not make the capital cost of the heat exchanger alone the sole criterion for purchase.
• Acquaint the vendor with details of service and point out that the choice will be made on both initial and operating cost, not just initial capital cost alone.
• Use realistic pressure drop specifications, as this affects size and cost.
• Allow as much pressure loss as economics dictate for ...