It's Day 2 of Tiger, and you've played with the new features. But you can become even more productive if you customize Tiger for your needs. Turn to Matt Neuburg for a road map on how to start using new features in Tiger. Matt shows you how to configure and use Spotlight efficiently for finding files on your hard disk, and once you've found them, he helps you set up Smart Folders that automatically organize your files. Matt also helps you make the most of Dashboard, which gives you instant access to mini-applications. In other parts of the ebook, you'll learn how to manage the status menus in your menu bar, how to customize keyboard shortcuts (and even disable the Caps Lock key!), and how to get started with Automator. Matt has updated his advice about essential customizations that Tiger brings up from Panther, including how to work with Exposé, the sidebar, the toolbar, Finder windows, Font Book, Unicode, and more. Additional help for those new to Mac OS X: 150 basic ways to customize your Mac!
Read this ebook to learn the answers to questions such as:
I'm overwhelmed by all of Tiger's new features - where should I start?
Did I install the right stuff?
How do I use Spotlight to find information on my hard disk?
Can I configure Dashboard widgets?
How do I use Automator, and what's it good for?
My Font menu is huge, and my fonts are a mess. What should I do?
Can I assign keyboard shortcuts to menu items?
Where did Apple hide the options for
Table of Contents
- Read Me First
- Customizing Tiger Quick Start
- What’s New in Tiger
- Customize your Installation
Master the Folder/File Hierarchy
- Set Up the Default Finder Window
- Set Up the Desktop
- Sidebar Basics
- Customize Your Sidebar
- Tweak Your Open and Save Dialogs
- Toolbar Basics
- Customize Your Toolbar
- Determine Your Toolbar’s Visibility
- Understand Spotlight
- Set Up Spotlight Preferences
- Use Spotlight Efficiently
- Do Finder Searches
- Make Smart Folders
- See the Windows you Want to See
- Create Shortcuts and Workflows
- Fix Your Fonts
- Customize Status Menus
- Perform Miscellaneous Configurations
- Look Up a Configuration Location
- A. Finder Window Customization
- About This Ebook
- Title: Take Control of Customizing Tiger
- Release date: May 2007
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: 0975950320