In this comprehensive book, backup guru Joe Kissell helps you pick the best backup strategy for your needs and understand the whys and hows of what you are doing, helping you go far beyond the false security of turning on Time Machine or copying a few files to CD. You'll find an at-a-glance comparison of different backup strategies (low-cost, easy, safest), along with advice for backing up digital photos and massive video projects. You'll learn the pros and cons of many types of backup media; discover how to pick the best backup software for your needs; and find time-tested recommendations for setting up, testing, and maintaining backups, complete with the essential instructions on how to restore after a crash.
Free online appendixes compare almost 100 backup products. Bonus! Includes coupons worth $30 off Data Backup and 10% off CrashPlan. Covers Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as well as Leopard and Tiger!
Find answers to questions such as these:
Should I use an online backup service to back up to a different location?
How do I minimize the downtime I might suffer if my boot drive fails?
How can I maximize the benefits of using Time Machine?
What's a hard link, and how does it relate to Time Machine?
What are the important gotchas relating to Time Machine?
How do I migrate an existing backup system to Time Capsule?
How can I back up easily and safely while traveling?
How can I create my own command-line-based backups?
Is the Drobo a useful device?
How do I deduplicate my backups?
Which hard drive should I buy for my backups?
What are the pros and cons of running Retrospect 8?
I'm running Windows on my Mac—how do I back up my Windows files?
Table of contents
Take Control of Mac OS X Backups, Fourth Edition
- Read Me First
- 1. Mac OS X Backups Quick Start
2. Decide on a Basic Backup Strategy
- Backup Strategy Approaches
- Decide Which Backup Methods to Use
- The Duplicate
- The Versioned Backup
- Automating Backups
- Keeping Multiple Backups
- Off-Site Backups
- Backing Up a Small Network
- Joe's Recommended Basic Strategy
3. Consider Special Backup Needs
- Digital Photos
- Dealing with Huge Volumes of Data
- Version Control
- Backing Up While Traveling
- Windows Files and Volumes
4. Choose Your Hardware
- Hard Drives
- Hard Drive Virtues
- Optical Media
- Network Storage Devices
- Local Network Servers
- Internet Backup Services
- Hardware You Shouldn't Consider and Why
- Joe's Hardware Recommendations
5. Choose Your Software
Backup Software Features
- Scanning Methods
- Sources and Destinations
- Rolling Backup Features
- File Format, Compression, and Encryption
- Sub-File Updating
- Selectors and Exclusions
- Snapshots and File Lists
- Ease of Restoration
- Restoring a Full Versioned Backup as a Bootable Volume
- Ease of Use
- Support and Reputation
- Noteworthy Software
- Joe's Software Recommendations
- Backup Software Features
6. Set Up Your Backup System
- Test Hardware First
- Partition Hard Disks
- Install and Test Software
- Label Media and Files
- Set Up and Create Your First Duplicate
- Test Your Duplicate
- Set Up and Create Your First Versioned Backup
- Test Your Versioned Backup
- Automate Your Backups
- Mind Your Media
- Restore Data from a Backup
7. Configure and Use Time Machine
- Check Your Version of Mac Os X
- Set Up Your Time Machine Hardware
- Choose a Destination
- Exclude Files from Time Machine
- Restore Data with Time Machine
- Delete Files from a Time Machine Backup
- Use a Single Backup Disk with Multiple Macs
- Use Multiple Backup Disks with a Single Mac
- Manage Your Time Machine Schedule
Avoid (or Solve) Time Machine Problems
- Remount Network Volumes
- Avoid Conflicts with Virus Scanners
- Find Out What Time Machine Is Really Up To
- Avoid Running Time Machine When Applications Have Large Files Open
- Understand Limitations of Time Machine with FileVault
- Purge Deleted Applications from Time Machine
- Convince Time Machine to Use the Right Disk
- Live Dangerously: Hack Time Machine
- A. Unix-Based Backup Systems
- About This Book
- Title: Take Control of Mac OS X Backups, Fourth Edition
- Release date: September 2009
- Publisher(s): Take Control Books
- ISBN: 9781615420049
You might also like
Linux Application Development, Second Edition
"The first edition of this book has always been kept within arm's reach of my desk …
Hands-On System Programming with C++
A hands-on guide to making system programming with C++ easy Key Features Write system-level code leveraging …
Make: Like The Pioneers
You may have mastered Arduino and 3D printing, but what will you make when the power …
Linux in Action
Summary Linux in Action is a task-based tutorial that will give you the skills and deep …