Everything you need to know about the Apple TV!
Version 3.1, updated 10/8/2020
Whether you're considering an Apple TV, already own one, or have a smart TV or streaming device that supports AirPlay and/or the Apple TV app, you can more fully enjoy Apple’s ecosystem with this ultimate guide by TidBITS managing editor Josh Centers. You'll learn about the best TVs and sound equipment to buy, how to maximize your Apple TV's picture quality, get the most out of the Apple TV app, control your media with AirPlay, and so much more!
Josh walks you through cables, ports, and setup, and explains how to use gestures and spoken commands with the Siri Remote—yes, you can talk to your TV! He helps you navigate and customize the Home screen, plus describes getting-started settings such as inputting your Apple ID and enabling parental controls.
You'll learn how to use the TV app (whether on the Apple TV box itself, on a Mac running Catalina or Big Sur, on an iPhone or iPad, or on a third-party smart TV), and how you can best view home movies and TV shows. The book also looks at using an Apple TV to listen to your music or Apple Music, download and play podcasts from Music or iTunes, and browse your photos.
In Take Control of Apple TV you'll also read about:
- What's new in tvOS 14
- Which Apple TV model to buy—or whether you should get different hardware instead
- Getting the most out of your the Siri Remote
- Alternatives to the Siri Remote
- Using a game controller with Apple TV
- Controlling Apple TV with Shortcuts
- Using AirPlay to beam the display of your Mac or iPhone screen to your TV
- Making Mac or iOS/iPadOS audio play through your TV’s speakers
- Running iTunes Home Sharing to play media from a local computer
- What you can do with Conference Room Display mode
- How to tell whether an iOS/iPadOS app includes a free copy of its Apple TV version
- How to reset or restore an Apple TV—useful for troubleshooting or for handing your device to a new owner
Compatibility? This book covers the fourth-generation Apple TV (now called Apple TV HD) and the newer Apple TV 4K model. It does not cover earlier generations of Apple TV hardware.
Table of contents
- Read Me First
- Apple TV Quick Start
- What Are Apple TV and iTunes?
- What’s New in tvOS
- Do You Still Need an Apple TV?
- Set Up Your Apple TV
- Control Your Apple TV
- Learn Apple TV Basics
- Master AirPlay
- Decipher the Apple TV App
- Listen to Music and Podcasts
- View Your Photos and Home Movies
- Play Content from a Computer
- About This Book
- Copyright and Fine Print
- Title: Take Control of Apple TV, 3rd Edition
- Release date: October 2020
- Publisher(s): Take Control Books
- ISBN: 9781615424702
You might also like
Take Control of Your Productivity
Increase Productivity and Reduce Stress! Version 1.1, updated 03/25/2020 Simple to-do lists and calendars are no …
Take Control of the Mac Command Line with Terminal, 3rd Edition
Learn how to unleash your inner Unix geek! Version 3.0.1, updated 03/21/2020 Release your inner geek …
Take Control of iCloud, 7th Edition
Understand iCloud’s capabilities and limitations, and put its key features to good use! Version 7.0, Updated …
Take Control of Automating Your Mac, 3rd Edition
Updated November 21, 2019 Looking for ways to work smarter and faster with your Mac? In …