Suffering from email overload? Learn to work smart and solve problems in Apple Mail with Joe Kissell's practical advice!
Work more efficiently and avoid seemingly inexplicable problems in Apple's Mail program with the only book available about Apple Mail in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger. Best-selling author Joe Kissell spent untold hours testing to understand how Mail in Tiger works and what to do when it doesn't act as expected. You'll learn about the different email protocols Mail supports, the best ways to set up new accounts, how to import messages and addresses, and how to manage Mail's parental controls. That's only the tip of the iceberg, as Joe next teaches you how to customize your incoming mail view for fast browsing of messages, control the styles you see in incoming messages, display slideshows of attached photos, reply to meeting invitations, find messages using Spotlight, and organize mail into smart mailboxes. Then, he turns to outgoing mail, showing you smart ways to address messages, tricks for sending attachments successfully, how to add clickable URLs, and what you need to know when using Mail's new HTML support. In addition, you'll find seven key bits of advice about rules, five ways to improve the Previous Recipients list used for spam filtering and address completion, and six suggestions for Spotlight-enabled smart mailboxes. If you're having trouble, Joe offers solutions to numerous problems, including what to do if you can't send or receive mail, step-by-step instructions for fixing damaged mailboxes, and how to make Spotlight see messages it isn't finding properly. An extensive glossary and 11-page resource list ensure that you'll have everything you need to know about Mail at your fingertips!
Read this ebook to learn the answers to questions such as:
What features are new in the Tiger version of Mail?
Can Mail download messages from Hotmail, MSN, Yahoo!, Gmail, and AOL?
How can I import messages and addresses from other email programs?
Why (and where!) did all of my IMAP mail suddenly disappear?
Is there a better or faster way to address my outgoing messages?
Is there a way to force Mail to display only plain text and not HTML?
Why isn't Spotlight finding messages that match my search terms?
How do I make a clickable link in an outgoing message?
Which folders should I copy to back up my email?
Are there third-party tools that extend Mail's capabilities?
Version info: This ebook covers Apple Mail 2.0, bundled with Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.
Table of contents
- Read Me First
- Quick Start to Controlling Apple Mail
Set Up Your Accounts
- Account Setup Tips
- Import Email from Another Application
- Import Addresses from Another Application
- Remove Extra Accounts
- Synchronize Mail Settings Using .Mac
- Manage Quota Limits
- Configure and Use Parental Controls
- Learn about Email Protocols
Read Incoming Messages
- Check Your Email
- List and View Your Messages
- Modify Fonts and Sizes
- Manage Incoming Message Formats
- Reply to Meeting Invitations
- Work with Incoming Attachments
- Choose and Learn an Addressing Method
- Access Hidden Address Fields
- Sending Messages to Groups
- Handle Previous Recipients
Compose and Send Messages
- Decide on a Message Format
- Set Your Default Format
- Compose Plain Text Messages
- Compose HTML (Rich Text) Messages
- Add Clickable Links
- Set Message Priorities
- Customize the New Message Window
- Personalize Messages with Signatures
- Send Messages
- Reply to Messages
- Add Attachments to Messages
- Manage Your Mailboxes
Find Your Messages
- Perform a Basic Search
- Understand Mail’s Search Logic
- Use Boolean Expressions
- Search Within Messages
- Search Metadata with MailTags
- Work Smarter with Smart Mailboxes
Automate Mail with Rules
- Create a Rule
- Use Multiple Conditions and Actions
- Rule Advice
- What Rules Can Do for You
- Advanced Rule Techniques
- Rule Limitations and Workarounds
- Fix Email Transfer Problems
- Back Up and Restore Your Email
- A. Software Sources
- About This Book
- Featured Titles
- Title: Take Control of Apple Mail in Tiger
- Release date: May 2007
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: None
You might also like
Sams Teach Yourself Windows® Phone 7 Application Development in 24 Hours
Covers Windows Phone 7.5 In just 24 sessions of one hour or less, you’ll learn how …
Oracle Big Data Handbook
Transform Big Data into Insight "In this book, some of Oracle's best engineers and architects explain …
Get comfortable with WordPress fast, with this media-rich, customized, hands-on learning experience! Covers the upcoming release …
Create Great iPhone Photos
Many people use their iPhones to take snapshots, but few realize the power of their phone's …