Find essential advice for running Windows on your Intel-based
Read this book to learn why you want to use a Mac to run Windows; understand the pros and cons of Apple's Boot Camp versus virtualization software; and find advice and step-by-step instructions for installing either Windows XP or Vista in Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop 3.0, VMware Fusion, and VirtualBox.
You'll also get help with connecting third-party peripherals and printers, sharing files between operating systems, avoiding Windows malware, and backing up a Windows installation. Plus, the book looks briefly at running Windows software without installing Windows and at running Windows on PowerPC-based Macs.
Read this book to learn the answers to questions such as:
How can I get a copy of Windows XP or Vista that will work on a Mac?
What can I expect and how can I avoid problems with Windows activation?
Should I run Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion, or VirtualBox?
How can I best right-click in Boot Camp?
How can I make my Bluetooth device work with Boot Camp?
What are my options for sharing files between Windows and Mac OS X?
What is a smart way to back up my Windows installation?
How can I print from my Windows software?
What techniques can I use to avoid viruses and spyware in Windows?
How do I use one installation of Windows for Boot Camp and my virtualization software?
Includes a coupon worth $10 off Parallels Desktop!
Table of Contents
- Read Me First
- Quick Start
- Why Bother?
- Decide How to Run Windows
- Collect the Ingredients
Install and Use Boot Camp
- Assemble Your Tools
- Prepare Your Mac
- Run Boot Camp Assistant
- Install Windows XP under Boot Camp
- Install Windows Vista under Boot Camp
- Install Boot Camp Drivers for Windows
- Upgrade from Boot Camp Beta
- Solve Input Device Problems
- Switch between Mac OS X and Windows
- Share Files across Platforms
- Back Up a Boot Camp Volume
- Get Rid of Your Windows Partition
- Understand Virtualization Concepts
Install and Use Parallels Desktop
- Install Parallels Desktop
- Install Windows under Parallels Desktop
Work with Windows in a Parallels Virtual Machine
- Using the optical drive
- Adjusting screen resolution
- Working with windows and views
- Shutting down, starting up, pausing, suspending, and resuming
- Compacting the virtual disk
- Using SmartSelect
- Using Snapshots
- Using 3D Graphics
- Using Kaspersky Internet Security
- Share Files between Windows XP and Mac OS X in Parallels
- Upgrade to a New Version of Parallels Desktop
Install and Use VMware Fusion
- Install Fusion
- Use a Boot Camp Partition in Fusion
- Create a Virtual Machine in Fusion
- Work with Windows in a VMware Fusion Virtual Machine
Install and Use VirtualBox
- Install VirtualBox
- Set Up a New Virtual Machine in VirtualBox
- Install Windows in VirtualBox
- Install Guest Additions
- Work with Windows in a VirtualBox Virtual Machine
- Share Files between Windows and Mac OS X in VirtualBox
- Back Up Virtual Machine Data
- Run Windows Applications without Windows
- Solve Printing Problems
- Create a Slipstream Installer Disc
- Protect Your Windows Setup from Malware
- Learn More
- A. Windows on a PowerPC Mac
- About This Book
- Featured Titles
- Title: Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac
- Release date: May 2007
- Publisher(s): Peachpit Press
- ISBN: None