This book is for the photographer who strives to achieve a higher level of results in their work. Take Your Photography to the Next Level is based on a series of essays originally featured on the popular Luminous Landscape website. Barr tackles some of the rarely discussed, yet essential aspects of successful photography. Here is where photographers will learn what is needed in order to grow in their creativity, as well as gain a deeper understanding of their craft.
With a foreward by Michael Reichmann.
Table of Contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Table of Contents
On Reading Photographs
- 1. Center of Interest
- 2. What is the Image About?
- 3. What is the Photograph About at a Deeper Level?
- 4. What are the Parts of the Image and How do they Relate?
- 5. Tonalities
- 6. Emotional Impact
- 7. Flaws
- Reading My Photographs
- What is the Photograph About?
- What is the Photograph About at a Deeper Level?
- What are the Parts of the Image and How Do They Relate?
- Negative Space
- Emotional Impact
- Is Beauty Essential to Great Photographs?
- Elements of a Great Photograph
- What Photographs Well?
- Photographing Clichés
- It’s Been Done Before
- Noticing Subject Matter
- ADM Mill
- On Reading Photographs
- 2 Finding Images
- Sketching to Make Photographs
- Complicated doesn’t Cut It
- Does an Image Need a Center of Interest?
- How Close to Perfect is Needed?
- Decisions and Compromises
- Your Options
- Where Should You Point the Camera?
- Framing Your Images
- The Art and Religion of Cropping
- To Crop or Not to Crop, That is the Question
- Formats and Aspect Ratios
- What About Cropping Both Ways?
- Back To Framing
- Framing Assistants
- What Edges Can Do For Your Images
- Working on Edges
- Cropping For Good
- Center Street
- Diagonal Sunbeam
- 4 Assessing Images
5 Mind Games
- Stuck in a Rut
- Dealing with Slumps
- Twelve Ways to Challenge Yourself
- Career, Family, and Photography
- Dealing With Disappointment
- Photographic Flops
- Equipment Envy
- How Good the Equipment?
- Statistics and the Odds of Success
- On Negative Thinking
- Looking for Perfection—The Price of Experimenting
- Wet Shale
6 Take Your Photography to the Next Level
Part 1—Finding Your Level
- Measuring Print Quality
- Identifying Your Technical Level
- Identifying Your Aesthetic Level
- Finding Your Level
- Part 2—Getting Help to Assess Your Level
- Part 3—Moving On, Making Better Images
- My Equipment and Techniques
- Print Offer
- Print Offer Order Form
- Title: Take Your Photography to the Next Level
- Release date: December 2007
- Publisher(s): Rocky Nook
- ISBN: 9781933952215