Leading the Goal-Setting Process
Steps in the Setting of Team Goals:
1. Management develops an overarching goal for a project. The team leader clarifies management’s expectations regarding the goal.
2. The leader presents the overarching goal to the team, along with management’s expectations and any limitations (e.g., budget, time).
3. The leader facilitates a team discussion of the goal to ensure understanding of expected outcomes.
4. The leader, in conjunction with team members, develops an initial draft of one or more SMART goals based on management’s overarching goal.*
5. The team agrees on a set of SMART goals.
6. The team develops a project plan designed to accomplish the goals.
7. The leader reviews the goals and project ...