How to Get the Goods
As a leader, you must be a willing advocate for your team:
• Communicate, communicate and then communicate some more. Tell the team’s story when and wherever you can.
• Make some noise. Say it forcefully but respectfully, so that the decision-makers are aware of the importance of the team’s needs.
• Spell out the benefits or consequences. Go beyond “this is what we need” to say “if we get this, then the organization will benefit the following ways,” or “if we don’t get this, then this is what we stand to lose.”
• Be tenacious. It’s not “one and done.” You may need to make your case again and again.
• Know the system. Learn how to make a request for resources in the proper form and using the proper channels.