Conflicts, or more precisely, differences of opinion, are a natural and expected part of the team process. The issue is not that there are conflicts, it is do they get resolved in an effective manner.
Lois Hart has identified seven causes of team conflict:
1. Unmet needs or wants. “I feel like an outsider on this team.”
2. Values. “We are not being completely open and honest with our customers.”
3. Perceptions. “No, I think our biggest concern should be our competitors.”
4. Assumptions. “Jake, I believe you come late to meetings because you don’t value our work.”
5. Expectations. “Yes, I did think you were responsible for getting the supplies for the test.”
6. Different backgrounds. “We don’t feel comfortable expressing ...