Book descriptionKnowing how to work effectively in and through groups may be the single most important skill anyone can develop in today's collaborative, team-based workplace. Unfortunately, all of the resources available on teamwork put the emphasis on group process and ignore the role of-and benefits to-the individual. But effective teamwork isn't only a group skill set; it's an individual skill set as well. Teamwork Is an Individual Skill shows readers how to develop the skills to thrive on any team, under any circumstances. No longer will readers find themselves complaining, "I got assigned to a bad team." Instead, they'll know what to do to make any team work for them.
Drawing on over twenty years of experience successfully developing professional teams in product development, R&D, and high-tech environments, Christopher Avery and his coauthors use brief thought-provoking essays, personal and teambuilding exercises, case studies, and insights from business leaders to teach readers how to build responsible and productive relationships at work. The authors show how and why your ability to assume personal responsibility-for your own work on a team and for the team's collective work-is the most important factor in ensuring a productive team experience.
Teambuilding, the authors point out, is essentially a series of conversations between people who share responsibility to get something done. Teamwork Is an Individual Skill describes the way these conversations typically progress, and shows the reader how to predict and direct these conversations so that they can maximize the benefits to both themselves and to their team.
Designed for easy access and for use by both individuals and groups, Teamwork Is an Individual Skill will equip readers with the mental skills and behaviors that will help them achieve personal goals while contributing to their team's success.
Table of contents
- Cover Page
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
- Introduction: Developing TeamWisdom for Personal Success
1 Teamwork As an Individual– Not Group–Skill
- What Is “TeamWisdom?”
- Teamwork As an Individual Event
- Agree to Response-Ability
- Is Your Silence Consent?
- The Benefit of Showing You Can Be Provoked
- Experience Judgments Completely So You Can Clear Them Away
- An Upset Is an Opportunity to Learn
- Conceive New Relationships as Avenues of Contribution
- The Gift of a “Present Hero”
- Master Your Intentions
- Living and Working “on” Purpose
2 Creating Powerful Partnerships
- What’s in It for Them?
- It’s in Your Interest to Be Helpful to Other People
- Protect the Interests of Other People
- The Miracle of Efficient Gifts
- Celebrate the Successes of Other People
- Appreciate Conflict
- Distinguish Criticism from Feedback
- What about Their Integrity?
- End with the Beginning in Mind
- All Teams Need Closure
3 Collaborating “on” Purpose
- Clarity Is the Source of Power
- Come Together Over Commitment and Skills Will Follow
- Teammates Don’t Have to Like Each Other
- Stop Trying to Motivate
- How Do You Know if Your Team Is “Built”?
- Who Is the Most Powerful Member of Your Team?
- Fast Consensus
- Don’t Rely on a “Common Enemy” for a Sustainable Goal
- Reorient the Relationship for Renewed Direction and Energy
- 4 Trusting Just Right
5 The Collaborative Mindset
- Play a “Big” Game Instead of a “Small” One
- The TeamWisdom Theory of Relativity
- Honor Differences
- Competitor or Antagonist?
- Intentional and Reactive Relationship Outcomes
- Value Both the Task and the People Performing the Task
- Keys to Extraordinary Collaboration
- The Bedrock of Collaboration
- Expansion Is the Collaborative Leader’s Most Powerful Tool
- Relationship Integrity Makes Collaboration Possible
- Integrate for Expansion: Expand for Integration
- Conclusion: Demonstrating TeamWisdom from This Point Forward
- About Partnerwerks
- About the Authors
- Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- Title: Teamwork Is an Individual Skill
- Release date: April 2001
- Publisher(s): Berrett-Koehler Publishers
- ISBN: 9781605094106
You might also like
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable
In The Five Dysfunctions of a Team Patrick Lencioni once again offers a leadership fable that …
Contemporary Strategy Analysis, 10th Edition
Now in its tenth edition, Contemporary Strategy Analysis continues its tradition of accessibility, practicality, and real-world …
Effective Teamwork: Practical Lessons from Organizational Research, Third Edition
Updated to reflect the latest research evidence, the third edition of Effective Teamwork provides business managers …
Maslow on Management
A seminal work onhuman behavior in the workplace-now completely updated "At last! We have all been …