As a parent, you want to see your teen succeed in school and in life—and you do your best to help. But how do you know what will make a difference? Maybe it’s time to listen to a teacher.
Day in and day out, teachers watch kids interact with peers, make decisions, deal with difficulty, accept or deflect responsibility . . . Teachers are our eyes and ears—and there’s a lot they wish we knew.
In Teenagers 101, veteran high school teacher Rebecca Deurlein examines how we can support our teens as they cope with the challenges of the modern world. In an age of instant gratification, how do they learn to work hard? How do they become self-reliant when Mom and Dad are quick to step in? How do they make the transition from kids to adults? Speaking as an educator and a parent herself, Deurlein offers practical strategies for getting teens to:
Be self-motivated • Take responsibility for learning • Puzzle through problems • Become their own advocate • Present themselves well • And more
Packed with engaging anecdotes and backed by years of experience, Teenagers 101 is a crash course on the skills teenagers everywhere need to thrive in college and beyond.
Table of contents
- CHAPTER 1 How to Motivate Your Kids
- CHAPTER 2 How to Encourage Perseverance in the Age of Instant Gratification 33
- CHAPTER 3 Too Old to Run to Mom or Dad: When to Get Involved and When to Step Back
- CHAPTER 4 Getting Teens to Accept Responsibility for Their Work, Their Decisions, and Their Mistakes
- CHAPTER 5 How to Get the Most from Parent-Teacher Conferences and Open Houses
- CHAPTER 6 Homework and Extracurriculars: Should You Still Be Involved in High School?
- CHAPTER 7 The Real Value of Advanced Placement (AP) Courses–and Who Should Take Them
- CHAPTER 8 College Isn’t for Everyone: Is It Best for Your Child?
- CHAPTER 9 The Dangers of Coddling: Helping Your Kids Develop Healthy Self-Esteem
- CHAPTER 10 Making Sure Teens Know That the Way They Look and Sound Matters
- CHAPTER 11 Getting Kids Organized: A Strong Foundation for a Lifetime of Success
- CHAPTER 12 How to Prepare Your Teens for Adulthood
- CONCLUSION All We Can Do Is Our Best
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
- FREE SAMPLE FROM A SURVIVAL GUIDE TO PARENTING TEENS BY JOANI GELTMAN
- Title: Teenagers 101
- Release date: November 2014
- Publisher(s): AMACOM
- ISBN: 9780814434666
You might also like
Programming C# 8.0
C# is undeniably one of the most versatile programming languages available to engineers today. With this …
Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
Your 7-step whole-brain plan for improving your business, life, and career--from the man Deepak Chopra hails …
Building Products for the Enterprise
If you’re new to software product management or just want to learn more about it, there’s …
How to Connect with Your iTeen
Bullying, gangs, social media, smartphones, reality TV . . . meet the real-life firewall for keeping …