Co-published by IT Governance Ltd and itSMF USA
A wealth of material has been written to describe the underlying mechanics of ITSM, but very little practical advice is available on how to implement ITSM best practices to achieve an organization's business objectives.
The official ITIL® volumes explain what service management is, how the processes work and fit together, and why IT shops should adopt the practice, but they are notoriously vague on how to design and implement an ITSM model in a real organization.This challenge is best understood by those with experience of transforming ineffective and expensive IT, yet most ITSM guides are authored from a purely academic standpoint.
Real world IT Service Management
This book provides guidance on implementing ITSM Best Practices in an organization based on the authors' real-world experiences. Advice is delivered through a Ten-Step approach, with each step building upon the successes of its predecessors.
Subjects covered include:
- Documenting objectives, identifying current and future demands, analyzing service financials.
- High-level design, negotiating development priorities, creating an execution plan and roadmap, agreeing roles and responsibilities.
- Detailed design, building, testing, deploying.
- Monitoring and continual improvement.
Each step includes summary lists of key questions to ask and specific actions to take, and a useful business case template is included as an appendix.
A practical guide to ITSM
As organizations seek to boost revenue, cut costs and increase efficiency, they increasingly look to IT as a strategic partner in achieving these objectives.
Ten Steps to ITSM Success helps IT to prepare for this role by providing a detailed and practical guide to implementing ITSM best practices. It is aimed at ITSM practitioners and consultants, but will also be of interest to IT Directors and C-suite executives looking to transform the role of IT into a value-creating business partner, to establish a service management culture, and to drive improvements in their respective organizations. This book is a co-publication with itSMF USA and is the second book in the Thought Leadership Series
Table of contents
- About the Authors
- Chapter 1: Setting the Stage
- Chapter 2: Inventory the Current Service Offering
- Chapter 3: Validate the Current Service Model
- Chapter 4: Establish an ITSMSteering Committee
- Chapter 5: Define the Ideal Target State
- Chapter 6: Create the ITStrategic and Tactical Plans
- Chapter 7: Define Organizational Roles and Responsibilities
- Chapter 8: Standardized Development Approach
- Chapter 9: Strategy and Planning
- Chapter 10: Logical and Physical Design
- Chapter 11: Build and Test
- Chapter 12: Conduct Service and Process Health Assessment
- Chapter 13: Analysis and Deployment
- Chapter 14: Operation and Sustainment
- Chapter 15: Balanced Scorecard and Continual Improvement
- Chapter 16: Putting it all Together
- Appendix A: Business Plan Template
- ITG Resources
- Title: Ten Steps to ITSM Success
- Release date: February 2013
- Publisher(s): IT Governance Publishing
- ISBN: 9781849284585
You might also like
Executive's Guide to IT Governance: Improving Systems Processes with Service Management, COBIT, and ITIL
Create strong IT governance processes In the current business climate where a tremendous amount of importance …
The ITSM Iron Triangle
When your project is people-dependent, how do you get their buy-in? Attitudes and behavior are the …
Practical IT Service Management, 2nd Edition
How can you ensure that IT problems do not damage your business? IT is integral to …
Practical IT Service Management: A Concise Guide for Busy Executives
What do you have to do to make sure that IT headaches will not jeopardise your …