Before reaching a decision to terminate, it is important that you ensure that you are being fair to the employee. This means that you are satisfied that you have given the employee the chance to perform his or her job correctly. The following are some of the questions you should consider before reaching a termination decision.
1. Has the employee been made aware that his or her job performance is unacceptable?
2. Is it possible that the poor performance may not entirely be the employee’s fault or within his or her control?
3. Has the employee received the training necessary to perform the job in an acceptable manner?
4. Does the employee understand what is expected of him or her on the job?
5. Does the employee know how to ...