Project portfolio management (PPM) is a set of processes to analyze, recommend, authorize, activate, accelerate, and monitor projects to meet organization improvement goals (Figure 26-1). When performed successfully, PPM has yielded the following benefits:
• 20 to 30 percent improvement in time to market1
• 25 to 300 percent improvement in number of projects completed with the same resources2
• Average project duration cut by 25 to 50 percent3
• Over 90 percent project success rate, with double the profit margin4
• 50 percent improvement in research and development (R&D) productivity5
These achievements apply to government, not-for-profit, ...