Your guide to becoming an explanation specialist.
You've done the hard work. Your product or service works beautifully - but something is missing. People just don't see the big idea - and it's keeping you from being successful. Your idea has an explanation problem.
The Art of Explanation is for business people, educators and influencers who want to improve their explanation skills and start solving explanation problems.
Author Lee LeFever is the founder of Common Craft, a company known around the world for making complex ideas easy to understand through short animated videos. He is your guide to helping audiences fall in love with your ideas, products or services through better explanations in any medium.
You will learn to:
Plan: Learn explanation basics, what causes them to fail and how to diagnose explanation problems.
Package: Using simple elements, create an explanation strategy that builds confidence and motivates your audience.
Present: Produce remarkable explanations with visuals and media.
The Art of Explanation is your invitation to become an explanation specialist and see why explanation is now a fundamental skill for professionals.
Table of Contents
- Title Page
- Author Note
Part 1: Plan
- Chapter 1: Learning to Run
- Chapter 2: What Is an Explanation?
- Chapter 3: Why Explanations Fail
- Chapter 4: Planning Your Explanations
Part 2: Package
- Chapter 5: Packaging Ideas
- Chapter 6: Context
- Chapter 7: Story
- Chapter 8: Connections
- Chapter 9: Description
- Chapter 10: Simplification
- Chapter 11: Constraints
- Chapter 12: Preparing for and Writing an Explanation
- Chapter 13: Bringing an Explanation Together
Part 3: Present
- Chapter 14: Common Craft's Lessons Learned
- Chapter 15: Right Medium for the Message
- Chapter 16: Visuals
- Chapter 17: Emma and Carlos
- Chapter 18: Explanation Culture and Your Life as an Explainer
- Links to Common Craft Videos
- About the Author
- Title: The Art of Explanation: Making your Ideas, Products, and Services Easier to Understand
- Release date: October 2012
- Publisher(s): Wiley
- ISBN: 9781118417317