The Book of GIMP is a comprehensive guide to GIMP 2.8 with answers to (nearly) all of your questions about GIMP.
Table of contents
- The Book of GIMP: A Complete Guide to Nearly Everything
I. Learning GIMP
1. Getting Started
- 1.1 GIMP Basics
- 1.2 Image Handling Basics
- 1.3 Working with Images
- 1.4 Using a Tablet
- 1.5 Exercises
2. Photograph Retouching
- 2.1 Tutorial: Enhancing Badly Taken Photographs
- 2.2 Global Transformations
2.3 Local Transformations
- Making a Selection
- Modifying Sharpness
- Modifying Brightness
- Using the Clone Tool
- Perspective Cloning
- More Correction Methods for Red Eye
- Changing the Sky of a Landscape
- 2.4 Retouching a Scanned Photograph
- 2.5 Advanced Techniques
- 2.6 Exercises
3. Drawing and Illustration
- 3.1 Tutorial: Colorizing a Drawing
- 3.2 Painting and Drawing
- 3.3 Filling an Area
- 3.4 Dodging, Burning, and Smudging
- 3.5 The Digital Painting Process
- 3.6 Drawing Shapes
- 3.7 Exercises
4. Logos and Textures
- 4.1 Tutorial: Making a Luggage Tag
- Creating Textures
- Using the Blend Tool
- Using the Noise Filters
- Using the Embossing Filters
- More Ways to Create Textures
- 4.3 Logos
- 4.4 Exercises
5. Composite Photography
- 5.1 Tutorial: Building a Composite Portrait
- 5.2 Selections, Overlaying, and Blending Modes
- 5.3 Building a Panorama
- 5.4 Image Overlaying
- 5.5 Exercises
- 6.1 Tutorial: Animated Text
- 6.2 Building an Animated GIF by Hand
- 6.3 Using Animation Tools
- 6.4 Using GAP
- 6.5 Exercises
7. Image Preprocessing
- 7.1 Tutorial: Extracting Information from a Picture
- 7.2 The Principles of Preprocessing
- 7.3 Filtering
- 7.4 Edge Detection
- 7.5 Exercises
- 8. Designing a Website
- 1. Getting Started
9. The GIMP Interface
- 9.1 The Main Windows
- 9.2 Fundamental GIMP Commands
- 9.3 Working with the GIMP Interface
- 9.4 Creating, Loading, Saving, and Exporting Files
- 9.5 Undoing
- 9.6 The GIMP Help System
- 10. Display
- 11.1 The Layers Dialog
- 11.2 The Layers Menu
- 11.3 Layer Groups
- 11.4 The Image: Layer Menu
- 12.1 Concepts
- 12.2 Blending Modes
- 12.3 Color Management
- 12.4 The Major Color Tools
- 12.5 Additional Color Tools
12.6 The Color Submenus
- The Auto Submenu
- The Components Submenu
- The Map Submenu
- The Info Submenu
- The Remaining Color Tools
- 13.1 What Is a Selection?
- 13.2 The Seven Selection Tools
- 13.3 The Paths Tool
- 13.4 Using Selections
- 14.1 Selection Masks
- 14.2 Layer Masks
- 14.3 Using Masks and Channels
15. Drawing Tools
- 15.1 Digital Art
- 15.2 An Overview of the Drawing Tools
- 15.3 Shared Features
- 15.4 The Fill Tools
- 15.5 The Painting Tools
- 15.6 The Cloning Tools
- 15.7 The Modifying Tools
- 15.8 The Text Tool
- 15.9 The Color Picker Tool and the Measure Tool
- 15.10 Combining Tool Presets, Brushes, and Paint Dynamics
- 16. Transformation Tools
- 17.1 Common Properties
- 17.2 The Blur Filters
- 17.3 The Enhance Filters
- 17.4 The Distorts Filters
- 17.5 The Light and Shadow Filters
- 17.6 The Noise Filters
- 17.7 The Edge-Detect Filters
- 17.8 The Generic Filters
- 17.9 The Combine Filters
- 17.10 The Artistic Filters
- 17.11 The Decor Filters
- 17.12 The Map Filters
- 17.13 The Render Filters
18. Animation Tools
- 18.1 Principles of Animation
- 18.2 Tools for Building Multilayer Animations
- 18.3 The Animation Menu
- 18.4 The Move Path Tool
- 18.5 The Video Menu
19. Obtaining and Printing Images
- 19.1 Capturing Screenshots
- 19.2 Scanning
- 19.3 Digital Cameras
- 19.4 Printing
- 19.5 Scanning and Printing with Windows
20. Image Formats
- 20.1 An Overview of File Formats
- 20.2 JPEG, GIF, and PNG
- 20.3 GIMP’s Native Formats
- 20.4 Other Useful Formats
- 21. Scripts and Plug-ins
22. Customizing GIMP
- 22.1 The Preferences Dialog
- 22.2 Additional Preferences in the Edit Menu
- 22.3 Customizing Image Views
- 22.4 Building New Brushes
- 22.5 Building New Patterns
- 22.6 Building New Gradients
- 22.7 Building New Palettes
- 9. The GIMP Interface
- A. Vision and Image Representation
- B. Tips and Hints for Selected Exercises
- C. Resources
D. Frequently Asked Questions
- D.1 What Does the Future Hold?
- How can I draw a straight line?
- How can I draw a circle?
- How can I create an outline around text?
- How do I save a selection within an image to a file?
- How do I merge an image from another file with the current image?
- How do I get small fonts to look as nice as large fonts?
- How do I set keyboard shortcuts?
- How do I set up GIMP so a layer becomes active when I click an element in that layer?
- How do I fill a layer or selection with transparency?
- How do I draw in a different color?
- How do I add a blur to my image?
- How can I paint along the outline of a rectangle?
- How do I move existing guides?
- How do I get rid of a floating selection?
- How do I paint in a transparent area?
- How can I see the marching ants and know whether my selection has been made?
- How can I add color to a black and white image?
- How do I resize my photo to a precise size, say 5 × 7 cm?
- How do I set the foreground color to a color in my image?
- How can I keep text sharp when scaling it down?
- How do I copy a layer mask to another layer mask?
- How can I search for a specific font, brush, or pattern?
- How do I erase with a tool other than the Eraser?
- How can I use the Scale tool to enlarge an image?
- How can I find a dialog I closed by accident?
- How can I invert grayscale values without changing the colors?
- How do I crop with a defined aspect ratio?
- Why are some of the filter names grayed out?
- Why is nothing happening?
- Why doesn’t anything happen when I try to cut, paste, or apply a filter to a selection?
- Why can’t I modify the channel I built by saving a selection?
- Why can’t I change my image after I saved a selection to a channel?
- Why do my paint strokes appear on the image when I try painting on a layer mask?
- Why did the size of my file increase when I exported it to JPEG with 100% quality?
- Why can’t I draw in the color I chose?
- E. Installing GIMP
- F. Batch Processing
- About the Authors
- Title: The Book of GIMP
- Release date: January 2013
- Publisher(s): No Starch Press
- ISBN: 9781593273835
You might also like
Python for Programmers, First Edition
The professional programmer's Deitel® guide to Python® with introductory artificial intelligence case studies Written for programmers …
C++ Crash Course
Upgrade your Code with C++ C++ is one of the most widely used languages for real-world …
Effective Python: 90 Specific Ways to Write Better Python, 2nd Edition
Updated and Expanded for Python 3 It’s easy to start developing programs with Python, which is …
Python Crash Course, 2nd Edition
This is the second edition of the best selling Python book in the world. Python Crash …