I assembled my ski team and two cars at home in Camberwell.
Dramatis Personae. Skiing holiday. (Final.)
- Me. Brilliant skier.
- Wife. Rotten skier.
- Niall. Ski soulmate of old. Brilliant skier.
- Alick. Friend and boss; in which order, unsure. Claim to be a brilliant skier as yet unaudited.
- Chip. Young American disco soulmate of wife. Unknown quantity.
- Verona. Beginner. Extremely glamorous if tired-looking youngest ever director of Breese, Spotch and Betts. Terrifying advertising exec.
- Sienna. Beginner. Sister to the above. Willowy tennis pro, too British and not butch enough for Wimbledon.
By 1 a.m. we were South of Reims. Driving through the night was gruelling, but the autoroutes were almost deserted. We had a deal ...