Data are an organization's sole, non-depletable, non-degrading, durable asset. Engineered right, data's value increases over time because the added dimensions of time, geography, and precision. To achieve data's full organizational value, there must be dedicated individual to leverage data as assets - a Chief Data Officer or CDO who's three job pillars are:
- Dedication solely to leveraging data assets,
- Unconstrained by an IT project mindset, and
- Reports directly to the business
Once these three pillars are set into place, organizations can leverage their data assets. Data possesses properties worthy of additional investment. Many existing CDOs are fatally crippled, however, because they lack one or more of these three pillars. Often organizations have some or all pillars already in place but are not operating in a coordinated manner.
The overall objective of this book is to present these pillars in an understandable way, why each is necessary (but insufficient), and what do to about it.
- Uncovers that almost all organizations need sophisticated, comprehensive data management education and strategies.
- Delivery of organization-wide data success requires a highly focused, full time Chief Data Officer.
- Engineers organization-wide data advantage which enables success in the marketplace
Table of contents
- Cover image
- Title page
- Table of Contents
- About the Authors
- Executive Summary
- Chapter 1. Introduction – Speaking of Data (Big, Little, Dark …) in Anticipation of the Impending Tsunami
- Chapter 2. Understanding the Current C-level is not Data-Knowledgeable
- Chapter 3. Developing Your Organization’s Data Leveraging Capabilities
- Chapter 4. Focusing DM to Meet Common Organizational Challenges
- Chapter 5. Creating the Right Conditions for CDO Success
- Chapter 6. Conclusions/Suggestions
- Title: The Case for the Chief Data Officer
- Release date: April 2013
- Publisher(s): Morgan Kaufmann
- ISBN: 9780124114951
You might also like
This book is for any manager or team leader that has the green light to implement …
Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn, Keras, and TensorFlow, 2nd Edition
Through a series of recent breakthroughs, deep learning has boosted the entire field of machine learning. …
Data Science from Scratch, 2nd Edition
To really learn data science, you should not only master the tools—data science libraries, frameworks, modules, …
Digital Transformation Game Plan
The Digital Age is having a broad and profound impact on companies and entire industries. Rather …