In This Chapter
- Developing a network of power contacts
- Acquiring power by working on critical problems
- Getting people on your side by forming coalitions
- Developing the right image for your group
- Bringing in an outside expert
Angelica is an industrial engineer who works for a manufacturer of industrial pumps. One day she notices that her colleague Jerry has a book about office politics on his desk. Angelica asks Jerry about his interest. Jerry responds that you have to understand office politics to succeed. With a quizzical expression, Angelica replies:
“Oh no, Jerry, you have it wrong. Now the emphasis is on teamwork. People throughout ...