In This Chapter
- Capitalizing on the WIIFM principle
- Recognizing what people really want
- Setting goals, goals, and more goals
- Diagnosing motivational problems
- Motivating members of Generation X
- Setting up a motivational climate
Paula, the manager of the deli department, was slowly accumulating evidence that Nick, the deli clerk, was lazy. One day Paula watched him interact with a customer who asked for two thirds of a pound of ham. Nick asked the customer, “How about just taking the amount I already sliced? It should be about right.” The scale read 0.54 pounds, and the customer grumbled, “I’m not happy, but ...