States Versus the Federal System
In This Chapter
• An early vision of our government
• What is Federalism?
• The role of states in Federalism
• Legal vs. individual rights
• Powers retained by the federal government
• Limits placed on the federal government
The foundation of the law in the United States is the balance of power between the federal and state governments as expressed in the Constitution. This chapter will consider what the Founders tried to accomplish when they created the federalist system with its checks and balances. We’ll also look at how the federal and state systems balance each other. Finally, we’ll examine the balance between legal and individual rights.
Our Founding Fathers Had a Vision …
Since people started living ...