The New Science of Happiness
In This Chapter
- The beginnings of positive psychology
- The three types of happiness positive psychologists study
- The learning boom in happiness
- The pioneers in the science of happiness
- The importance of understanding happiness now
As our new millennium dawned, so did a new branch of psychology—one that gave a name to humankind’s long-standing quest to understand the nature of happiness. The so-called “psychology of happiness,” or positive psychology, garnered a great deal of attention. In the media, stories about how psychology was now looking at the good things in life—and good ways of experiencing life and developing oneself—abounded. The idea was intriguing, both to the general public and to ...