The Power of Optimism
In This Chapter
- Finding the benefits of an optimistic outlook
- Having optimists explain events
- Assessing and expanding optimism
- Realizing the power of positive memories
- Merging optimism and realism
Is happiness a self-fulfilling prophecy? To a large degree, the answer seems to be yes. Research shows that people who are optimists—that is, those who are inclined to expect good outcomes—are more content, more resilient, and have fewer physical and emotional disorders than pessimists who anticipate negative outcomes.
But there’s good news for pessimists (at least for those willing to hear it). A bleak outlook can be transformed. Research also shows that it is possible to become more optimistic.
The Happy ...