The Happy Path of Spiritual Seeking
In This Chapter
- Positive psychology’s growing interest in religion
- Religious path and the spiritual path comparison
- Spiritual beliefs enhancing happiness
- The role of prayer in happiness
- The role of ritual in happiness
In recent years the biggest media story concerning the human mind and religion has been the lively debate about humanity’s genetic predisposition to seek out the divine. Noted scientists have contended that we are all programmed with a so-called “God gene.” We are neurochemically “wired,” they say, to create soothing stories of a benevolent higher power and an eternal afterlife—the better to swallow the bitter pill of our mortality. Theologians, on the other hand, take a ...