In This Chapter
- Learning the effect of parenting on happiness
- Fostering positive emotion in children
- Modeling character strength
- Helping children be optimistic
- Determining children’s happiness at school
Biologically, we’re programmed to want to procreate. Culturally, we’re sent the message that parenting is something we should want to do—our obligation to society. But is becoming a parent a guarantee of happiness, and if so, what kind of happiness will that be? This chapter addresses this issue.
It will also explore the recommendations of positive psychology for parents who want to help their children realize their own potential for happiness.
Does Parenting Make Us Happy?
Ask parents to name the ...