Underneath It All: How Culture Can Make Conversation Difficult
In This Chapter
• How culture affects conversation
• The different ways in which time is used
• The differences between high-context and low-context cultures
• The importance of saving face
• Speaking effectively in different cultures
The world and the workplace are full of people of various ethnicities and cultures, and even if we’re speaking the same language, cultural differences may lead to misunderstandings that have little or nothing to do with the words we say. Conversation can break down completely if we inadvertently insult one another by ignoring the cultural conventions in which the conversations occur.
In most of this book, you’ll read about specific conversational ...