Talking About Medical Issues
In This Chapter
• Working Americans with serious diseases
• What and when to tell the boss
• Understanding chronic illness
• Helpful words and hurtful words
• How to speak with children about illness
At one time or another, every workplace and every family will be affected by serious or chronic illness, which is frightening and stressful both for those who are fighting the disease and those who work or live with them. People who become ill may not know what to say about their disease. They often worry about how to tell supervisors, co-workers, friends, or family members, especially children.
On the other hand, those who are told of the illness may not know how to respond and often are afraid they’ll say something ...