Substance Abuse and Domestic Violence
In This Chapter
• The costs of substance abuse
• Detecting substance abuse
• The wrong way to approach the issue in the workplace
• Substance abuse and the family
• Helping victims of domestic abuse
The National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information estimates that American companies lose $100 billion a year due to alcohol and drug-related abuse by employees. Obviously, it’s a massive productivity issue and also one that’s hard for co-workers and supervisors to discuss with those who may be drinking or using drugs on the job. Domestic abuse also takes a toll not only on the victim, but also on the bottom line. This chapter highlights some ways to talk about these life-altering issues.