Making the Grade
In This Chapter
• Beginning the self-assessment process
• The outlook for new grads
• Completing a successful career change
• Understanding the skill sets you’ll need
• The importance of passion
In this chapter, you will find out whether you have what it takes to be successful as a personal financial planner. Certain characteristics are non-negotiable; you must possess them in order to succeed. Others, however—depending on how you enter the profession—are not deal killers.
The failure rate for starters in the financial planning profession used to be very high. Your success largely depended on your ability to sell. Today, there are still some entry points to the business that depend on you selling commission-based financial ...