The Three Essentials
In This Chapter
• The three-headed dragon of the First Matter
• Doctrine of the Two Contraries
• The three philosophical substances
• The Three Essentials within all of us
• The three treasures of Taoist alchemy
The Three Essentials are the trinity of forces that make up creation, and the alchemists named them Sulfur, Mercury, and Salt. Sulfur and Mercury are the primordial opposites that are part of the inherent duality of the universe. We have only to observe nature to see this fundamental duality, which can be expressed as masculine and feminine, positive and negative, light and dark, expanding and contracting, energy and matter, Yang and Yin, and many other names depending on our perspective.
Salt, on the other ...