From the Bayou to Bourbon Street: Blues and Jazz
In This Chapter
• Discovering how rural blues evolved into urban and electric blues
• Uncovering the roots of New Orleans jazz
• Learning why swing music was the popular music of the 1930s and 1940s
• Discovering all the different types of jazz, from bebop to cool jazz to jazz/rock
• Learning about the three most important figures in blues and jazz music: W. C. Handy, Louis Armstrong, and Miles Davis
The African American culture contributed significantly to the American musical landscape of the twentieth century. Beginning with the rural blues, black music evolved into a variety of musical styles, from jazz to rhythm and blues to hip hop—and informed virtually all forms of popular music ...