Anger. Depression. Anxiety. Low self-esteem. With the help of this guide, millions of Americans can stop suffering from these difficult emotions. Written by a prominent psychologist, this book is chock-full of the many strategies and approaches that have proven effective over the years. And since one size does not fit all, it includes information on self-help and counselling, psychiatric medication and psychological therapy, physical exercise and cognitive behavioural therapy.
-Offers a number of time-tested and scientifically proven approaches to managing moods.
-Addresses fears and myths regarding treatment.
-28% of Americans will develop mood disorders by the age 75, according to USA Today (06/07/05).
-Will be helpful to a variety of people, including those suffering from alcoholism, drug addiction, bipolar disorder, depression, postpartum depression, and chronic pain.
Table of contents
- Title Page
- Copyright Page
Part 1 - Understanding Human Emotions and Moods
- Chapter 1 - How We View Emotions
- Chapter 2 - Emotions: Friends or Foes
- Chapter 3 - Understanding the Human Mind, the Brain, and Emotions
- Chapter 4 - Why Some People Are More Sensitive: Understanding Your Emotional Self
- Chapter 5 - Perceiving Stress: It’s Always in the Eye of the Beholder
- Chapter 6 - Understanding Your “Emotional Buttons”
- Chapter 7 - When Emotions Overwhelm
- Part 2 - Taking Action: First Things First
Part 3 - Psychological Self-Help Strategies
- Chapter 13 - Common Solutions That Backfire
- Chapter 14 - Keeping a Clear Head and a Realistic Perspective
- Chapter 15 - Combating Shame, Guilt, and Low Self-Esteem
- Chapter 16 - Anger Management
- Chapter 17 - When Life Gets Out of Balance
- Chapter 18 - Strategies for Managing and Overcoming Very Intense Emotions
- Chapter 19 - Taking Action in Your Life
- Chapter 20 - The Role of Spirituality in Emotional Coping and Healing
- Part 4 - Areas of Particular Concern
- Part 5 - Professional Help in Dealing With Mood Problems
- Appendix A - Glossary
- Appendix B - Medical Disorders, Conditions, and Medications That May Cause Mood Symptoms
- Appendix C - Pleasant Activities
- Appendix D - Quick Reference Guide to Antidepressant and Antianxiety Medications
- Appendix E - Self-Help Resources
- Title: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Managing Your Moods
- Release date: November 2006
- Publisher(s): Alpha
- ISBN: 9781440696770
You might also like
What Is the Cloud?
Why are so many companies moving to the cloud? In a word, agility. Businesses need to …
Grokking Algorithms is a friendly take on this core computer science topic. In it, you'll learn …
Mastering Money: How to Beat Debt, Build Wealth, and Be Prepared for any Financial Crisis
Overcome debt, make smart money decisions, and build a financially secure future Do you support your …
OCA / OCP Java SE 8 Programmer Practice Tests
Test your knowledge and prepare for the OCA/OCP exams OCA/OCP Java SE 8 Programmer Practice Tests …