Real Estate Investing and Taxes
In This Chapter
• Understanding depreciation
• Other available write-offs
• Expensing versus capitalizing
• Section 42 and other government tax credit programs
• Taxes when you sell a property
• Legally minimizing taxes
• Taxation exit strategies
One of the greatest barriers to amassing wealth is the burden imposed by the tax code. Governments need revenue to pay for public infrastructure and public services that benefit nearly everyone. Billing end users is simply not practical, hence the taxing authority of government.
Taxes are a reality of life. The point of this book isn’t to argue whether taxes are too low or too high, or fair or unfair. Paying them is our duty as citizens, regardless of how we feel ...